Canada Spect products | Renal
(kit for the preparation of technetium Tc 99m mertiatide)
This information is intended for Canadian healthcare professionals only.
Technescan MAG3™ (kit for the preparation of technetium Tc 99m mertiatide)
The preferred choice for renal scintigraphy.1
Technescan MAG3 imaging agent delivers both the quantitative and qualitative information you need to help provide a confident diagnosis for patients with a wide variety of renal disorders.
Image quality aids in patient diagnosis
- High extraction fraction –– more than twice that of Tc 99m DTPA2
- Provides high kidney-to-background ratio
Single 30-minute procedure delivers renal flow and function results3,4
- Allows measurement of overall renal function and visualization of renal blood flow
- Evaluates effective renal plasma flow (ERPF) which is a highly sensitive indicator of renal function5
- Renal uptake and rapid tubular secretion promotes assessment of renal function
Delivers information you need to help you feel confident about your diagnosis
- Provides renal function and flow data for assessment of a wide variety of renal disorders such as renal obstruction, renal transplant, and renovascular hypertension
- Allows assessment of patients with poor renal function2
- Provides assessment of kidney function in pediatric patients 30 days and older
Indication & Usage
Technescan MAG3™ (kit for the preparation of technetium Tc 99m mertiatide) is a renal imaging agent for use in the diagnosis of congenital and acquired abnormalities, renal failure, urinary tract obstruction, and calculi in adults and pediatric patients. It is a diagnostic aid in providing renal function, renal angiograms, and renogram curves for whole kidney and renal cortex.
Important risk information
Warnings and precautions
- The contents of this kit are not radioactive. However, after sodium pertechnetate Tc 99m is added, adequate shielding of the final preparation must be maintained.
- Contents of the reaction vial are intended only for use in the preparation of technetium Tc 99m mertiatide and are NOT to be administered directly to the patient.
- To help reduce the radiation dose to the bladder, as well as other target organs, the patient should increase his or her fluid intake (unless medically contraindicated) and void as often as possible after the injection of technetium Tc 99m mertiatide for six hours after the imaging procedure.
- Technetium Tc 99m mertiatide should not be used more than six hours after preparation.
- It is essential that the user follow the directions carefully and use aseptic procedures normally employed in making additions and withdrawals from sterile, nonpyrogenic containers during the addition of pertechnetate solution and the withdrawal of doses for patient administration.
- The technetium Tc 99m labeling reactions involved in preparing Technescan MAG3 depend on maintaining the stannous ion in the reduced state. Any oxidant present in the sodium pertechnetate Tc 99m may adversely affect the quality of the radiopharmaceutical. Therefore, sodium pertechnetate Tc 99m containing oxidants should not be employed.
- Care should be taken to insure minimum radiation exposure to the patient and to occupational workers.
- Radiopharmaceuticals should be used only by physicians who are qualified by specific training in the safe use and handling of radionuclides.
- The following adverse reactions have been reported: nausea, vomiting, wheezing, dyspnea, itching, rash, tachycardia, hypertension, shaking chills, fever, and seizure.
Use in specific populations
- Safety and effectiveness in pediatric patients under the age of 30 days have not been established.
- Breast feeding: Should be temporarily discontinued because Technetium Tc 99m is excreted in human milk during lactation.
Frequently asked questions
The reconstituted vial must be used within six (6) hours of preparation and should be stored at room temperature (15° to 30° C).
Technescan MAG3 can be ordered through Canada Customer Service at 866.885.5988. Orders are accepted Monday-Friday, 8:00 am through 5:00 pm. EST.
All order changes or cancellations are handled through the Canada Customer Service team at 866.885.5988. Please call a Customer Service Representative for specific information regarding ordering and cancellation of orders. Order cut off times and cancellation times vary by product.
Call Curium Pharmacovigilance / Product Monitoring Department at 866.789.2211
How is this product supplied
|Technescan MAG3 kit, 5 vial||1||Kit||–||096B0CA||69945-096-20|
1AMR/Arlington Medical Resources, Inc., The U.S. Imaging Market Guide, Jul–Dec 2010. 2Taylor A, Nally JV. Clinical Applications of Renal Scintigraphy. AJR 1995; 164: 31-41. 3 Taylor A, Blaufox MD, Dubovsky EV, Fine EJ, Fomei E, et al. Society of Nuclear Medicine procedure guideline for diagnosis of renovascular hypertension 3.0. Procedure guidelines, Policy and Practice, http://interactive.snm.org/docs/pg_ch16_0403.pdf, 2003. 4 Dubovsky E, Russell C, et al. Report of the Radionuclides in Nephrourology Committee for Evaluation of Transplanted Kidney. Seminars in Nuclear Medicine 1999; 29: 175-188. 5 Wellman HN, Milgrom M. Assessment of Renal Transplant Patients with Tc-99m MAG3: Case Reports and review. Dialysis & Transplantation 1992, Vol. 21(11), pp. 720-736.